If I have an illegal connection, what do I do to correct it?
It is suggested you consult a licensed plumber to determine the most appropriate methods of removing or repairing a specific illegal connection. The following are some possible solutions:
- The sump pipe could be run overland to a ditch, street gutter or swale that could drain to another location. The sump pump can be run underground through a 4" or 6" diameter perforated PVC pipe, with holes at the bottom and back-filled with washed gravel. An overflow tube should be placed at the opposite end to allow the water to escape in the event the volume of the pipe is exceeded.
- Route the sump pump to a City storm sewer.
- Disconnect gutters, downspouts or area drains from the sewer drainage system.
- Disconnect any condensation lines.
- Repair privately owned sewer lines as required.

Show All Answers

1. Is the City of Republic's water system fluoridated / chlorinated?
2. What is the hardness of the water within the City?
3. What is a sanitary sewer?
4. What is a storm sewer?
5. What is a surcharged sewer?
6. What is an illegal connection?
7. What are the different types of illegal connections
8. Where should storm drainage from downspouts, sump pump and / or other drain appurtenances be directed if it can't be discharged to the sanitary sewer?
9. Why is it important for everyone to remove illegal connections?
10. How can surcharged sanitary sewers cause flooding of my home or business?
11. How can I help prevent flooding of my home or business?
12. Do illegal connections really contribute large amounts of extraneous water to the sanitary sewer system?
13. How does the City of Republic identify illegal connections?
14. If I have an illegal connection, what do I do to correct it?
15. I've never had any flooding due to surcharged sewer. Why should I remove my illegal connections?
16. Is the requirement to remove illegal connections unique to Republic?